Microsoft SQL Server 2012 reached its end of support lifecycle on 12th July 2022.
Every version of SQL Server is backed by a minimum of 10 years support – 5 years in mainstream support, and 5 years in extended support. End of support (also sometimes referred to as end of life) means that a product has reached the end of its lifecycle, and so therefore servicing and support is no longer available for the product from Microsoft. It also means that regular security updates will no longer be provided. With cyberattacks becoming more sophisticated and frequent, running apps and data on unsupported versions can create significant security and compliance risks.
There are a number of options for organisations that have an unsupported version of SQL Server:
- Migrate your workload to Azure SQL
- Migrate your workload to an Azure Virtual Machine as-is for free Extended security updates from Microsoft until 12th July 2023
- Upgrade to a current version of SQL Server
- Purchase an Extended Security Updates subscription – (available for eligible customers with Software Assurance under an Enterprise Agreement).
More information on the Microsoft website:
Simpson Associates SQL Server Migration Assessment
Simpson Associates have been helping customers who are on older versions of SQL Server in a variety of ways. One of the ways our customers often get started is by utilising our SQL Server Migration Assessment.
The SQL Server Migration Assessment provides information about your existing SQL Server Estate and feasibility for migrating to the Azure Cloud. It illustrates possible migration targets within a new Azure estate.
The assessment involves:
- Initiation meeting and agreement on Roles and Responsibilities and Pre-Requisites.
- Setup and configuration of our Database Migration Data Gathering Toolset. This will look at the provided SQL Server list and capture information that we need to complete the readiness report.
- Monitoring of the Data Gathering Tool as runs and re-configure if required
- Collection of the statistics and analysis
- Calculation of Pricing
- Completion of the Report
- Playback meeting
The result of this assessment is a report that describes the options for moving to Azure (VM’s and Managed Instances), sizing and costs, together with supportability risks that you would be mitigating. This is designed to support your business case for moving some or all of the SQL Server Estate to Azure.
Let us manage your SQL Database for you
Simpson Associates also provides an option of managing your SQL databases. Benefit from a cost-effective, scalable and efficient approach to managing your databases with constant care and attention from our database specialists.
Benefits of a SQL Server Managed DBA Service:
- Scale your organisation with ease, with our database specialists on hand to help you scale your cloud databases efficiently as your requirements change.
- Save big and focus on growing your business by outsourcing your DBA requirements, reducing your operational costs drastically, and removing the need for salary costs, PAYE, training and more.
- Minimise unplanned downtime with a team of specialists who will proactively ensure that your SQL Server workloads are secure, compliant, and high performing at all times.
- Make internal teams more efficient and effective with the peace of mind that your SQL Server Database will be secure, high performing, and reliable with the ongoing support of our experts.
- Cut costs by making our team of experts an extension to your organisation, with a tailored level of cover to suit your requirements and plug any skill gap you may have.
- Fix problems and issues before they arise with proactive monitoring, ensuring you’ll always be on the front foot.