- Salary: Competitive
- Location: UK Based
At Simpson Associates, Data is in our DNA. The Simpson Associates Managed Services and Support team delivers high quality managed services and reactive support across a variety of technologies. As the principal contact point for managed service customers, our Support Consultants play a critical role. Self-motivated subject matter experts in one or more of the principal technologies we support, they are quick learners, taking an interest in new technologies, and able to grasp how they are applied in real-world customer applications.
The Support Consultant will report to the Managed Services and Support Manager.
Working primarily with Microsoft technologies, the Support Consultant should have operational experience in the following areas:
- Building, managing, and administering databases and data warehouses.
- Understanding, developing, and enhancing ETL processes.
- Building and optimising reports and dashboards.
- Developing and understanding complex queries in a variety of languages e.g. T-SQL, DAX, M, MDX.
- Expert troubleshooting skills, with experience of working in a support role.
- Customer-handling skills, with a strong track record of managing customer situations assertively with sensitivity.
The following skills are of value but not essential:
- Familiarity with ITIL practices.
- Infrastructure management, including monitoring and optimisation.
- Experience as an implementation consultant and in a range of solutions and sectors.
The support consultant should have good experience of a range of Microsoft technologies, with a focus on the following:
- Microsoft SQL Server RDBMS, Integration Services, Reporting Services and Analysis Services (multidimensional and tabular.)
- Microsoft cloud data technologies, including Azure SQL, Synapse, Data Factory, and Power BI.
Broader technology experience will be valuable.
The support consultant should have appropriate current Microsoft certifications pursuant to their skills and experience.
- Responsible for all supported customers across the technology and providing an excellent level of customer service.
- Confident and capable in handling support calls covering complex and non-routine solutions on a variety of environments. Applying a methodical approach to issue definition and resolution, allowing the best chance of resolving issues first time and without introducing new issues or unnecessary risk.
- Developing in-depth knowledge of supported customer applications, maintaining this knowledge as the application evolves.
- Proactive in managing support contracts. Working with the customer to identify critical periods, or changes in environment and customer resource. Recognise the importance of and dedicate time to proactive monitoring and maintenance, identifying and managing potential issues prior to them becoming critical.
- Maintain up-to-date customer documentation to support rapid and effective call handling.
- Demonstrate a mindset of adding customer value beyond incoming calls, including communicating relevant product upgrades and proactive maintenance.
- Follow the Simpson’s Support Guide for call handling and time recording. Ensuring token–based support contracts are tracked.
- Work with the consulting team to ensure smooth handover of projects into support.
- Ensure call notes are up-to date and comprehensive to allow ongoing call resolution in your absence.
- Be able to deliver work packages as part of a support maintenance contract.
- Consider and identify activity which should be handled away from the support desk, for example through the consulting team or as a specific piece of training.
- Be aware of and adhere to the requirements of the company’s business management system, including quality and information security management.
- Rapidly absorbs complex information and can apply it effectively. Demonstrates the ability to consider multiple options in against a wider context when determining the most appropriate solution.
- Is confident to help on calls outside their area of expertise, working as part of a multi-skilled team.
- Is able to prioritise and manage their own time and work to deadlines in an environment where call volumes can be unpredictable, escalating challenges where required.
- Has strong communication skills to both technical and non-technical contacts, with the ability to influence and gain required customer involvement to resolve and close calls in a timely manner.
- Self-motivated in their professional development, keeping pace with changes in technology and certifying as required.
- Is happy to work as part of the Simpsons Family. This means working as part of a small team who take pride in the service we provide to customers, and supporting one another in the big picture, as well as in the more mundane aspects of working life such as being timely with our internal admin.
The Managed Services and Support team is a small and self-contained team, and as such there is often a need to share responsibilities. The support consultant may be asked to engage in diverse activities such as training, implementation, or supporting sales teams in scoping work or submitting bids.
Apply for this job