"Having this information available on demand, at my fingertips is invaluable. I can now see what courses are our strongest or where our students are struggling at any time of the year and this allows me to make better informed decision regarding my actions."
Suzy Kerr Pertic, Pro Dean (Arts and Human Sciences), London South Bank University
Universities are keen to maximise their performance in the university league tables. The league tables represent a barometer to the public of a university and can have an impact on:
- Encouraging students to enrol;
- Employers views of graduates;
- Learning aims & objectives;
- Staff morale.
Monitoring a student's progress is an essential part of ensuring that Higher Education Institutions are achieving their teaching and learning aims and outcomes at all levels i.e., schools, programmes and modules; not only must they 'get this right' but they must also be able to show that they do.
Regulatory obligations mean that this information has to be transparent and accessible and needs to reflect a continual programme of improvement against learning aims.
University codes of practice concerning student progression specify that results need to be combined at source from assessment and examination boards; this can often stem from multiple data sources and be presented in multiple ways. Combining this information from these sources can present a challenge.
A university's ability to manage student progression reporting can be improved, in part, by the better collection and integration of the data that is reported and a data warehouse-based approach is often essential to complete this integration from the key corporate systems of: Student Records, Human Resources and Finance.
How Can we Help?
1. Provide a consistent data set incorporating current and historic data from all Faculties, held in a data warehouse, the quality of which improves as problems with the source data are identified and corrected.
2. Provide a dedicated reporting tool, which abolishes the manual intervention required to collate reports, ensuring that reports are produced in a consistent fashion with reduced cost.
3. Provide a consistent set of student reports for showing progression over a specified period. This allows for better analysis of progression by Course, Department, Faculty and the University as a whole.
4. Provide a drill down capability on student reports to view student details, resulting in an ability to perform cohort analysis.
To find out how we can engage with you to discuss your student progression or performance needs, contact us directly here, or speak to one of our customers about the value they have received from our solutions.